Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Running 4 Wishes"

As I stated in my earlier post, 2011 looks to be an interesting year. My daughter becomes a TeEnAgEr (nothing can ease that anxiety), I turn 40 (enough said on that subject), and last but not least, I will train for and run my first marathon, the Walt Disney World Marathon on January 8, 2012 (curious about why…….see earlier comment about teenage daughter and turning 40).  As a result, I have decided to use my self-diagnosed mid-life crises to benefit something larger than myself.  I want to do something that motivates me each and every day; something that will inspire others to do more even when they think they can’t; but most importantly, I wanted to do something that will directly benefit children.  Therefore, my training will benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation® by raising awareness and support.  My goal of raising $15,000 over the next year will grant the wishes of two children with life threatening medical conditions. 

As I begin training for the Walt Disn
ey World Marathon, I will use my blog, (www.runnning4wishes.blogspot.com) to chronicle this 11 month journey, keep everyone updated on my progress, as well as raising money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana – Indiana region.  If you are interested in helping me reach this goal, there are several ways to do so: 

  • A one time donation 
  • A once a month donation 
  • A once a month donation, based on mileage ran for that month 
  • Or any other way you might find suitable. 
Also, there is a link in the upper right hand corner that allows supporters to make donations directly to the Make-A-Wish Foundation® electronically.  Furthermore, this link will allow you to track my progress towards reaching the $15,000 goal on or before January 8, 2012. 

The decision to tackle such a project did not come easily.  I have been debating the idea for sometime, mainly concerned with the possibility of failure.  Then I came across this quote from Jim Valvano, “I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life.  You have to have a dream, a goal. You have to be willing to work for it.”  From that point on, my focus has been clear and my resolve strengthened. Honestly, I’m not sure what to expect over the next 11 months; however, I am confident of the following:
  • there will be times of disappointment as well as times of excitement. 
  • there will be new friendships made and old friendships renewed. 
  • most importantly, two children with life threatening medical conditions will be granted their wish because of your generosity and donations to Make-A-Wish.In closing 
I want to thank each of you for taking time to visit my blog.  Any consideration given towards making a donation or donations is greatly appreciated.  Please check back regularly for updates on my training and our efforts to reach $15,000.  If you would like additional information on the Make-A-Wish Foundation®, please visit their web site at www.makeawishindiana.org.

Thank you and God Bless!! 

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31

* 100% of donations benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation® *

3 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK on your journey!
    You will have a blast running that race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much for your devotion to Make A Wish.
    My heart is deeply touched by people like you.
    My son Matthew had his Disney Wish granted Oct 2010.
    I'll be praying you through this year of running!
    www.staybeautifulwithin.blogspot.com
    Blessings, Erica Beeg-Lenker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor! You will be the hero of two children and their families (as well as many others). I can't wait to keep reading and keep up with your progress! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete